Burton Elementary and Middle School
The Burton Elementary and Middle School LEED project is a remarkable combination of historic restoration and green design and construction. The Burton School is owned and operated by Grand Rapids Public School District and is located in an urban-residential area. The 3-story, 174,000 square foot school building was built in 1925 and renovated in 2008.
Green design and construction features include storm water drainage and collection, gray water use and ample use of day light windows. A roof rain garden diverts excess water from the sewers and reduces roof temperatures in the summer.
Burton Elementary and Middle School is the fourth Grand Rapids Public School to receive LEED certification. Sustainability has been a mission of the Grand Rapids Public Schools since the commencement of the 2004 voter approved bond construction.
To Register for the 2010 Green Buildings of West Michigan Tour, click here
Mission: To transform the way buildings and communities are designed, built and operated, in a way that improves the quality of life in West Michigan.