• Despite multiple benefits for customers and grid operators, the number of utility integrated energy efficiency/demand response (EE/DR) programs is small.
• Rapid technological advances and utility industry transformation are creating new opportunities for integrated EE/DR programs.
• Residential smart thermostat programs are prevalent among current EE/DR offerings. They provide demand response (DR) capabilities along with home energy management.
• Organizational changes and supportive regulation will be needed to overcome barriers to integrated programs.
• The benefits of integrated programs include fully capturing the resources’ value streams, more efficient administration, and a streamlined customer experience.
Administrators should pursue these programs when the net benefits outweigh the costs of integration.